Saturday, April 10, 2010

Thank you!



My dear step-mother and father gave me a $50 gift certificate to our favourite book store for my birthday. What excitement! I am a bit like Lesa, and don't buy many new books at all, so I felt wealthy. My girls and I loaded into the car and I drove to the shop chanting to them, 'It's all about ME. It's all about ME.' I was worried they would try to bookjack my gift. To be fair, they had had their own, exact same gift a month or so earlier. When it comes to shopping, however, I am afraid their memories are as bad as mine.



To their credit, they each pointed out a couple of books they would love to have, but didn't cross the line and actually request them. I reminded them of their own, upcoming birthdays and repeated, 'It's all about ME.'

Oh, the choices, the choices! How to spend it? Fiction? Non-fiction? Self help? (Goodness knows I need all the help I can get!) A few smaller purchases? One large, coffee table book with beautiful photos? It felt quite disorienting and took me a while to focus. I had looked at the beautiful Wisdom book before, but decided I didn't have a coffee table and it wouldn't fit in my book shelf. So in the end I got smaller purchases, to make the fun last longer.


I chose a suspense book I had been looking for and the beautiful pocket posh sudoku 3 puzzle book to carry in my handbag. I am hooked on puzzles and I love the Asian-y cover by Masha. So classy! So pretty! I have already done one puzzle waiting for kids after school. It's better for my eyes and my brain than the games on my cell phone. Every time I pull it out to pass the time I will think of my folks.

On the card there's little bit left for a bargain book or to put towards a purchase later. Oh, the choices!

What would you buy in a book store with $50 of birthday money?

No comments:

Post a Comment