Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Poor Bunny



After speaking to her classmate Kyle today little Dellylu came to me and looked me in the eye and asked if I hid her Easter Eggs. I said, 'I have never hidden your eggs.' She thought for a moment and said, 'The eggs are at Goong-Goong's house. Does he hide the eggs?' I don't lie to my kids. And that was it, the death knell for all the childhood magic in my house. Gone.

She asked so many questions.

What about Santa?
Father Christmas?
Who eats the carrot and the cookies?
And the tooth fairy?
Who gives me money?
Why didn't you tell me?
The House Fairy's real, right?
Do you buy me all that stuff?
So no magical people are real?
Does Izzy know?
Is Dad in on this?


Broke my heart.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that day when I was seven-- broke my heart too. Talon kept asking if Santa's sleigh really flies last Christmas--- he is only four but getting suspicious. I don't want to lie either so I said-- the sleigh flies in our imaginations--- maybe he can ease into it--- avoid the shock and anger. I remember being very upset.

    ReplyDelete