Monday, November 9, 2009

oops

I took a bunch of 26 10th graders to the beach the other day for sport. We arrived and it was chaos 'Can you wear my watch?' 'Do we have to wear rashies?' 'Can we leave our stuff here?' 'My ipod's in my bag.' 'Please can we go into the shed and get our boards?' etc. Then suddenly they were mostly gone and I was alone with the bags and shoes. I looked at the beach and saw a bunch way away from the area I told them to stay in. I asked the last straggler, "Are those our boys?" He said, 'Yeah, that's Josh and the others." Oh I was livid. I asked a life guard but he couldn't help because their PA was broken. So I marched way up the beach to yell at them. I finally got there and waved them in. Three came straight away but three dawdled and I thought 'just wait until I get them!' And the first one got close and I started laughing. It wasn't my boys at all! It was a bunch of Italian tourists, spunky young men who definitely weren't 15 years old. And we laughed and I explained and they said they had been afraid they weren't allowed to swim there. I said 'Scusa, mi dispiace.' a dozen times and we had another laugh and they went back into the surf.

1 comment:

  1. What a funny incident! Aren't the absurdites of life wonderful!
    I can just see you marching, yelling and waving your arms about!! Those poor guys! How fortunate that they were Italian. What are the odds of that?!

    ReplyDelete