Friday, April 1, 2011

How to Design Costumes for your School Musical, Part 1

So, have you said 'yes'? Are you already panicking? Well, I said 'yes' to doing costumes for The Wiz late last year. So far I am enjoying myself, but it is a lot of work.

I'm going to post about my experiences in the hope that someone can learn from it. I've never done anything like this before, and it would have been nice to find helpful hints. You might learn what NOT to do, but that's handy, too.

For some background, I have average sewing abilities and crafty tendencies. I am slap-dash when it comes to quality control, which I think is a positive attribute for this. You don't have time to obsess and rip out, and you have to let other people help you. Remember that lights, distance and movement on stage will make your creations look wonderful.



So the first thing I did was to find a binder to hold all my info. One from the cupboard was just fine. I got lots of display pages and made tabs with sticky labels. There is a label for:

  • each character
  • each dance group costume needed
  • shops, hire companies, etc
  • lists
  • patterns/sewing
  • communication
Also, in the back I put an envelope for receipts (dockets in Australian). Theoretically this should have a running list of costs on the front, but I really don't want to know at this point!


My first page is my 'To Do' list. Of course this changes as I accomplish these items.



For each character I have a page of measurements of the kid playing the part. This image was downloaded from the internet, and the wonderful helper-guy at school added a spot for 'name' and 'height', which wasn't on the image. Next time I would add 'character/s' to write in the costumes needed.


Across from this are images, sketches, ideas, websites, etc. Anything at all that relates to that costume. Of course some characters might have more than two pages if needed. Below are Addapearl, Glinda and Evillene.





For this production we have three groups of dancers with three or four costumes each. Just like the main characters, they have a page for each costume (not each kid!), and I grouped them together. So, group 1's costumes together, then 2, etc.

Below is a page for Group 2's Kalidah dance. Note the sewing directions (more on that later) and the tag from a bolt of fabric. The shop has ordered more for us, and I've saved the tag to make sure I've got all the info needed.




Under shops and hire places I list all the recommendations from friends and colleagues, mud maps, notes made when I visit places, websites that might be helpful, etc.

Under lists I keep, wait for it... lists. Who wears what, which groups are on when, etc. Also, I keep a measurement sheet for the kids in the dance groups.

For sewing I've got pattern info, especially if it doesn't apply to a specific character. Here are also my 'to do' lists for the sewing bees.


Under communications are all the letters that have gone back and forth. There's also a folder in my email account, and I try to write down phone calls, as well. Make sure to get your principal or other person to approve any letters home if applicable.

One thing that's not here but you would probably find useful is a calendar.

Keep the binder in a bag with an over-the-shoulder handle and add a pencil case with a tape measure, some sticky notes, pen and pencil. Now you are ready to get started!

If you are a FlyLady fan, you will recognize this as a control journal. It will be your constant companion over the coming months. I keep mine in my car, and I feel lost without it.


Next up is the fun part, gathering ideas.

5 comments:

  1. What a good idea to post this-- it will be helpful to lots of folks, I bet.

    And your sewing skills are advanced!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Yes, I now know what NOT to do - and it is be in charge of costumes! I am super impressed AND intimidated by your organizing!
    Kudos to you...and I will be drinking a glass of wine for you each time I think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, friends. I really had no idea how big this would be... They are telling me that I'm on schedule and budget so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DeLynne, wow, they are so lucky to have you as their designer. I loved reading all three posts on your page. You blog is different from any that I have ever seen before, and I am following you now. Nice to have met you through Baja and thanks for visiting and commenting. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice, Kathy, that you came by. I started this blog to keep in touch with family and friends back in the US, and am flattered that you are interested. You are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete